You Will Need
- A Google Account
- An iTunes Account
- MP3 file/files of your podcast
- A 1400×1400 image cover for your podcast
- An open notepad/Word document to keep track of links
Setting it Up
- Firstly you need to upload your ‘album artwork’, to do this go to postimage.org and upload it there by browsing for it. Ensure you do not click resist my image and then upload it
Once the image is uploaded scroll down and copy the ‘Direct Link’ and paste it into your text document, you’ll need this later.
- Next you need to set up a blog which will be used for the posting of episodes, go to blogger.com and sign in with your Google ID, then click ‘New Blog.’ Title your blog what you wish your Podcast to be called and create an address for it, what the address is and what theme you choose doesn’t matter, your listeners won’t see this. Take note of your address in your open notepad, in this example ‘randomlettersdcu’ as you’ll need this later.
- Next you need to change the settings on your blog so it can accept audio, to do this go back to blogger.com and click on the triangle button beside your blog name, then scroll down the popup list to settings and click on this.
Once in settings go to the menu on the bottom left and click on ‘Other.’
Then go to the ‘Enable Title Links and Enclosure Links’ option and change this to yes, then save your settings.
- Now you have your blog setup you need to set up a ‘Feedburner’ which iTunes will then accept, to do this first go to feedburner.com and log in with your Google account, then into the ‘Burn a feed right this instant’ box paste the following:
Copy the address you used in your blog earlier where the asterisks (***) are, click the ‘I am a podcaster!’ box and hit next
Your podcast name should automatically come up as the feed name, if it does not, change it to what you want it to be called. Be sure to copy the ‘Feed Address’ to your text document and press next.
You will now be faced with a confirmation page to which you just click ‘next’ to
- On the next page you will be faced with a series of text boxes which you have to fill in, for the ‘Podcast image location’ just paste in the link you copied to your text document in step 1. For the rest of the options just fill them in as appropriate for your podcast and click on Save.
- Next you need to submit your podcast to iTunes for approval,
NOTE this can only be done when you have at least one episode posted, to do that first follow the steps below.
Click here to be directed to the page on iTunes for podcast, on it paste this:
This time replace the asterisks (***) with the ‘Feed Address’ you copied to your text document in Step 4. Click on continue, sign in with your Apple ID, and the your podcast is submitted, it should be on the iTunes store within 24-48 hours.
- Posting episodes is much easier and requires only the following steps, Firstly you need to use this script to upload and get the link for your episodes. Click on ‘Step One’ and then drag your MP3 file into the window to upload it. Once it is uploaded go back to the tab where you have the script open and press ‘Step Two’
NOTE It is very important that you do not close, reload or reopen the script tab in between steps as otherwise Step Two will not work
On the ‘Step Two’ page you will see the name of the file you just uploaded and below it a long link ending in .mp3, copy this to your clipboard ready for the next step.
- Next go to blogger.com, sign in with your Google account and click on the orange button beside your blog to create a new post, title it what you want your episode to be called. Then, in the settings on the right hand side click on ‘links’ and then paste the link ending in .mp3 that you copied above
Then click on the orange publish button on the top right and the podcast will be on iTunes within 24 hours.